Features and Specifications
2011 Yamaha TMAX model Features
• Fuel-injected, liquid-cooled, four-valve-per-cylinder engine boasts forged pistons, carburized connecting rods, and ceramic-composite plated cylinders. The TMAX has a 11.0:1 compression ratio; upswept muffler canister; Controlled-fill die-cast aluminum frame; 43mm front forks; 4-piston mono-block caliper dual front disc brakes; rear disc brake; aluminum die cast wheels with radial H-rated tires; fully featured multifunction instrumentation with speedometer and tachometer; and radical new sports styling; with those credentials, it's no wonder TMAX is the Super Sport Scooter.
• Horizontally positioned 499cc parallel twin, with reciprocating balancer, offers plenty of smooth power, enough for two-up touring at highway speeds. Configuration helps keep weight low in frame for mass centralization.
• Luxury scooter appointments include a double glove box in the streamlined front apron, a position-adjustable operator backrest, a storage box under the seat spacious enough for a large full-face helmet, and the excellent wind and weather protection that comes from the TMAX's floorboard/ apron/windshield configuration.
• Continuously variable transmission connects engine power to the wet multiplate centrifugal clutch via a durable double-cog-type rubber V-belt. Silent chain efficiently transfers power to the rear wheel. This proven system, combined with TMAX's ample power, gives a whole new meaning-and adrenaline level-to twist-and-go throttle operation.
• The TMAX achieves fuel economy up to an estimated 47 mpg* with a fuel tank that holds 4 gallons of gas.
• Fuel-injected, DOHC, four-valve-per-cylinder, 499cc parallel twin, liquid-cooled engine is horizontally mounted and performance engineered with forged pistons, carburized connecting rods and ceramic-composite plated cylinders for plenty of tractable power. Also includes a horizontally opposed reciprocating balancer for uncommon smoothness.
• Electronic fuel-injection system provides sure starts and excellent performance in virtually all conditions and altitudes.
• Lubrication is via a semi-dry-sump system with an oil cooler for longer engine life.
• Continuously variable transmission (CVT) connects engine power to the wet multiplate centrifugal clutch via a durable doublecog-type rubber V-belt. Pivot coaxial drive shaft is used, allowing use of a swingarm separate from the powerplant for excellent handling. Two-stage, adjustment-free silent chain system then transfers power to the rear wheel.
• Muffler incorporates exhaust catalyst technology to reduce air pollution.
• Fuel tank emission system includes a charcoal canister to control gasoline evaporation and reduce air pollution.
• Using technology proven in Yamaha's sportbike line, TMAX has a lightweight, Controlled-Fill die-cast aluminum frame that provides rigidity and balance for superb handling.
• Motorcycle-type telescopic front forks use beefy 43mm tubes.
• 15-inch cast aluminum wheels front and rear are fitted with radial tires for excellent, sporty handling.
• Front double disc brakes with four-pod mono block calipers.
• Pin-slide, single piston rear brake caliper with parking brake system.
• Brake lever is adjustable for operator comfort.
• Rear seat is hinged for easy opening. Underseat storage is spacious enough to store a large full-face helmet.
• Bright headlights and taillight take their styling cues from Yamaha sportbikes.
MSRP: $8,590 (Raven) Available from February 2011
Type 499cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke, forward inclined parallel 2-cylinder, DOHC, 4-valve
Bore x Stroke 66.0 x 73.0 mm
Compression Ratio 11.0:1
Fuel Delivery Electronic fuel injection
Ignition Digital TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Clutch Type Wet, multiple-disc automatic centrifugal
Transmission CVT double-cog V-belt auto
Final Drive V-belt
Suspension / Front 43mm telescopic forks
Suspension / Rear Swingarm
Brakes / Front 267mm disc
Brakes / Rear 267mm disc
Tires / Front 120/70-15 67H Radial
Tires / Rear 160/60-15 67H Radial
Length 86.4 in
Width 30.5 in
Height 56.9 in
Seat Height 31.5 in
Wheelbase 62.2 in
Ground Clearance 4.9 in
Fuel Capacity 4.0 gal
Fuel Economy** 47 mpg
Wet Weight*** 489 lb
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)